Monday, March 26, 2007

8ighth assignment



This piece is probably one of my best this semester, of course its all a matter of opinion. But out of all my classes I'd say this is my favorite piece, everything about it is appealing. Joseph Muller-Brockmann's work really appealed to me for its simplicity and the geometric shapes that are used to constructe his grid system. My favorite thing about this piece are the colours, though they didnt print out exactly, the richness of those off colours are very appealing and the fact that there is absolutletly no white anywhere in the poster is another design 'turn on' for me. Every since I was young the colour (shade) white has simply disgusted me, there was a time when I'd walk around feeling nauseus because there was so much white around me. So I gave the text side a creamy off white that I really really like its alittle darker but softer then white and alot more comforting, which is an interesting contrast for the other side which is full of darker more precise colours. But despite that the black of the text helps to balance the two sides out. One may notice that there are no capital letters anywhere in the text and its a very simple font (myriad) that looks like a skinny arial. Though through my research I discovered that Brockmann is a fan of simplicity and font styling like that, having very little capital letters in any of his poster and a very simple yet noticeable font. Finally the reason I choose to do all the text in Swedish is simply because Brockmann is swiss and I thought that if there was going to be an exhibition for his work it mine as well be in Switzerland and if its in Switzerland the text isn't going to be in english. Another reason was just a little spice give it something different, the fact that the viewer can't read it can attract them even more giving them a wanter for more. What does it mean? Is it all just random words? Why not english? Should I try to translate it? or they might even try to translate it all on their own or whatever parts they can. If that personal translation is done succesful then the viewer will get a sense of accomplishment and like the poster even more in return. There could be other things that the text inspires but thats all I can think of right now. Anyways not much else to say about this piece, so the next few pictures are just sources inspiration that I had while constructing this piece.


No comments: