Thursday, April 19, 2007

assignm3nt 7en


Wow, this project was alot more fun than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed putting this piece together and learned something about myself while doing it. The one thing that I learned that will stick with me for a while is that I can really use the colour green to my advantage. Green and all shades and hues of green are the best colours found in the colour wheel. Man green is a sweet colour. Anyways on the double page spread I ran into a dilema as I wanted to make the 'This Bud's for you' article take up the whole thing but unfortunatly the article wasn't long enough and I wanted to keep to a contemporary modern and stylistic look for the redesign and if I threw in a bunch of pictures about people smoking weed or joints and marijuana plants than it would tip alittle onto the controversial side, so i decided to keep it simple. Which I find is my specialty when something is to busy and cluttered it can be distracting and even boring at times, so I like to keep alot of my work intriguing yet simple; as you can probably tell by this project. The pot leaf was originally going to have a text wrap around it and not a text overlay, but that was causing alot of problems and because of the many points and complex shape of the image illustrator didn't want to work in the way I had hoped. So having the text over top of the leaf I noticed its not really that hard to read, so i lightened the leaf up a bit and found that it actually looked really good with the overlay. From that I decided to do the same thing for the 300 article, sure I could've put a nice pic of the spartans, but really theres to much text for that so i extrated the title logo lightened it up threw it in my white space resized it and got what you see now. Another thing that surprised me is how well that brown works with my greens, like man i really wasnt expecting that i just used it on the front cover originally to see how it would look as i was putting together my colour palette and found that it is a gorgeous brown; which is hard to find with brown, a colour that is usually used improprarly and in retarded places. The text i used is one of the nicest fonts i have ever seen, it is called Kabel and i suggest that everyone get it, such a nice font with a great flow, the only time i didnt use it was in the articles where i used Perpetua; a font i use whenever i have to write something up, fuck times new roman and helvetica use Perpetua. i dont know what else to say i'm really pleased with the turnout of the whole thing, the front cover has some beautiful colours and a nice symetry to it. the beer glass i made completly with illustrator and my memory and i like how it turned out it really fits in nicely. Ya hope you like it, i know i do and i look forward to doing more projects like this in the future.

No comments: